The Nissan Xterra SUV is aimed at the young or active consumers who need a midsize SUV with enhanced off-road capability. Built with stout body-on-frame construction and functional four-wheel drive, the Xterra continues to be a steady seller among those who use their SUV for outdoor recreation as well as those who want to give off that impression.
Compared to its car-based SUV competition, the Nissan Xterra‘s on-pavement performance is not as comfy or refined, but if serious off-roading is part of your routine then we’d recommend it as one of the better new or used sport-utilities on the market. The Xterra features solid build quality and a reliable nature, which translates into confidence-inspiring peace of mind as you head off into the wilderness of the urban — or more distant — jungle.
- Plenty of room for friends and gear
- Surprisingly refined for an off-roader
- Beefy looks have a wide appeal
- Bring a map, navigation isn’t an option
- Off-road suspension borders on stiff
- Exhaust note isn’t very appealing